We're advocating for our local business community and we need your help today. LIBA is working with the Institute for Local Self Reliance as well as other IBAs and partners across the US to advocate for local and federal policy to support small businesses during the Covid-19 crisis.
Broadly, we're asking for:
1. Grants and subsidies to bridge the crisis (There is a reason this is the FIRST priority - small businesses crippled by debt is not a solution.)
2. Low- and no-interest loans
3. Federal bailouts should not exacerbate market concentration
4. Suspend evictions, foreclosures, and utility shut-offs nationwide
5. Support for employees and customers
Here are three things you can do right now to help our local businesses recover:
1. Read our full proposal for a federal response here.
2. Contact your member of Congress TODAY with a simple message:
The federal government must respond quickly and aggressively to keep small businesses solvent through the crisis. Small businesses need grants and subsidies. Loans alone will leave many small businesses crippled by debt and at risk of failure.
Representative John Yarmuth (Jefferson County)
502-582-5129 (Louisville) * 202-225-5401 (DC)
Outside Jefferson Co, find your Representative here.
Senator Mitch McConnell (KY)
502-582-6304 (Louisville) * 202-224-2541 (DC)
Senator Rand Paul (KY)
270-782-8303 (Bowling Green) * 202-224-4343 (DC)
Senator Mike Braun (IN)
(317) 822-8240 (Indianapolis) * (202) 224-4814 (DC)
Senator Todd Young (IN)
812-542-4820 (New Albany) * 202-224-5623 (DC)
3. Do you lead a chamber of commerce or other small business organization? Please sign on to the proposal and encourage your membership to reach out to their members of Congress.
Things are moving fast in Washington D.C., and a lot of the small business assistance proposed thus far is in the form of low-interest loans, not grants and subsidies, so please act today! Thank you!